In 2013, 481 Colorado residents died in traffic accidents, while many more suffered significant injuries as a result of a motor vehicle accident. If you’ve been involved in a car accident recently and find yourself in need of an attorney, it’s important to know what to look for when finding an experienced personal injury lawyer.
Referrals, Research, and Consultation
Some of your friends and relatives may have worked with a car accident attorney before, and you may be able to obtain referrals from them. You should also do research online to find attorneys with substantial knowledge of accident law in Colorado. Finally, it’s important to consult with each attorney, at which time you can assess their integrity and ask the right questions.
Six Questions You Need to Ask a Potential Attorney
- Who Will Serve As My Lead Attorney? Don’t assume that the lawyer with whom you consult will be the lawyer who handles your case. Find out who in the law firm will serve as your lead attorney, and be sure to obtain appropriate contact information for that lawyer.
- How Much Time Will You Be Able to Spend on My Case? You need to know how much time your attorney is prepared to give you and your case. Some lawyers have too many clients, forcing them to neglect some, which could negatively impact the outcome of your case or the compensation you receive.
- How Much Experience Do You Have with Accident Cases Like Mine? You want an attorney with extensive knowledge and experience in Colorado car accident law and cases. Find out how many years the attorney has been working on cases similar to yours and how many cases they’ve worked on throughout their career.
- How Much Experience Do You Have With Injuries Like Mine? It’s also a good idea to ask if your attorney has handled cases that involved injuries similar to yours. Although it’s not critical that your attorney has experience with your exact injury, it’s important to know that your attorney has a good history with cases like yours.
- How Much Compensation Will I Receive? Your attorney can’t tell you exactly how much your settlement will be, but they should be able to give you a reasonable approximation of the compensation you might be able to expect. This might include compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
- How Do You Accept Payment? You don’t want any surprises about payment. Find out if your attorney works on a retainer, accepts a contingency fee, or is paid by the hour.
Find the Right Car Accident Attorney
Finding a car accident attorney to handle your case can be a challenge. But you can find one who will devote the time necessary to protect your rights and get you adequate compensation if you do your research and ask the questions necessary to get the information you need.