Auto accidents took 103 lives on St. Patrick’s Day in 2009. Nearly 40% of those involved a drunk driver. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration wants that number to be even lower this coming Thursday.
Don’t depend on luck for your driving safety this week, before you down that first green beer:
- Make a plan to get home safely, then get the party started.
- Designate a driver AND leave your own car keys at home.
- Have the phone number of a sober friend (or two), taxi or public transit service in your pocket, on your phone, somewhere handy just in case.
- If you see a drunk driver on the road, don’t hesitate to contact the Colorado Springs Police department (911 or 444-7000).
- Be a good friend. If you know someone who is about to drive drunk, take their keys away from them and make a way to get them home safely.