Hard Hat And Work Gloves Stock Photo

Get Your Free Case Evaluation

If you are hurt while on the job, worker’s compensation should cover a variety of expenses including medical costs, temporary disability payments for the time you are unable to work, and disability payments for any injuries which make it impossible to continue working. You may, though, need to do your part to make sure you get the full benefits of workers’ compensation. Here are the answers to some questions you may have concerning getting your benefits:

How Soon Do I Need to Report My Injury to My Employer?

Your injury should be reported right away to your employer, and you should seek medical attention right away. Even if you have reported your injury verbally to your employer, by law, you have four working days to report your injury in writing to your employer. If you are unable to make the report on your own, someone else may report the injury on your behalf. You can still report the injury after the four days. You just may receive less compensation for your injuries.

Do I Get Paid for Time Off From Work Due to Injuries?

That depends upon how much time you miss due to work-related injuries. Starting on your fourth shift or fourth day you are unable to work, you should start to receive wage replacement benefits. These will stop once you go back to work, whether regular or modified work, or when your doctor or other medical provider determines you have reached your maximum medical improvement.

Can I Seek Medical Care from My Own Doctor?

If your employer directs you to a specific medical provider, you will need to visit that provider to ensure you receive the medical benefits provided by your workers’ compensation. Otherwise, you can visit a medical provider of your choice, including your own doctor.

If you were injured on the job, contact us. Our Colorado work injury lawyers can help explain any confusing workers’ compensation details and make sure you are getting the full benefits of your company’s workers’ compensation.