A teenager who was test driving a go-cart in Monument was killed in a crash with a pickup truck. Although it can be fun to drive non-traditional vehicles, your safety as well as the legality of the vehicle should be a top priority, both in public and on your own land.
- Know the legality of your vehicle on public roadways. The Colorado Department of Revenue, Division of Motor Vehicles can provide information about what vehicles are legal and what vehicles are not legal on public roadways.
- Make sure you understand the law regarding registering your non-traditional vehicle.
- While you may be able to drive your vehicle on your own property or on a track, if it is not street-legal, you cannot drive it on public roads.
- Pick roadways appropriate for the speed of your vehicle. For example, low-speed electric vehicles as well as low-power scooters can be registered in Colorado, but because of their limited speed, highway travel could be unsafe. They are best for trips around your neighborhood or in other areas where other vehicles will also be traveling at a lower speed.
- As with any vehicle, make sure you are comfortable operating your non-traditional vehicle before attempting to take it on any public streets. In the beginning, practice on back roads, empty parking lots, or in other areas where you are unlikely to encounter other drivers.
- Be sure to use the appropriate safety gear, no matter where you are driving your non-traditional vehicle. Helmets, elbow pads, and knee pads, as well as other safety gear, might be needed.
- Enjoy yourself. Whether you are racing a friend around a track with your go-carts or you are driving your scooter around your neighborhood, you likely picked this non-traditional vehicle for its fun reputation. Enjoy the experience.
Unfortunately, accidents do happen, whether you are using a traditional form of transportation or you are traveling using a less traditional mode of transportation. If you were injured in a wreck with another vehicle, contact us. A car accident attorney will provide you with a free case evaluation.