Tap To Call

Your Guide To Filing A Work-Related Accident Report in Colorado Springs

When you get injured on the job, worker’s compensation is there to protect you. It exists as a form of no-fault insurance to make sure that your medical bills are paid for and that you can make ends meet while you recover, or that you can retrain for a new job if possible, provided you can no longer perform your original work.

It’s vital, however, that you take the right steps to make sure that you are properly covered, and it all starts with making an accident report and getting it to your employer. Learn the steps to take to file a work-related accident report, and when you should talk to a qualified workers’ compensation attorney for help.

Making a Work-Related Accident Report

When you’re hurt at work, the first thing you need to do is file a work-related accident report. Let your supervisor know the instant you notice your injury. If you slip and fall and hurt yourself, report it right away. If you develop a repetitive motion injury over time, as soon as you suspect you’re hurt, let your employer know.

You normally have about 30 days to report your injury, but it’s important to report it as soon as possible. Waiting could result in your application for worker’s comp being denied, and a harder fight down the road.

What Should I Say?

In your report, outline exactly what happened. Give the date, time and circumstances of the accident or injury. Note other people that witnessed the incident or who may have been involved. List any medical treatments you have had, including doctor’s visits, rehabilitation, and medications you’ve been prescribed.

When you’ve completed the form, give it to your employer, who will file it and begin your claim.

Following up on Your Claim

After you file your report, make sure you keep detailed notes and records about your recovery. Any receipts or medical records you receive, keep a file. Keep notes on any effects your injury has on your quality of life and ability to perform your work.

Keep track of your pay stubs and records. Lastly, keep all receipts for any out-of-pocket costs you rack up like travel or medication. All of this could be important should you have to challenge a denial later.

When You Need an Attorney

It’s not unusual for a worker’s compensation claim to be denied the first time. There are any number of reasons why this might happen, but it’s not the end of the world. You can challenge a denied claim, but you need to prove the severity of your injury. This can be far more easily done if you have the help of an experienced worker’s compensation attorney.

At Heuser & Heuser, we’ve got years of experience helping people who have experienced work-related accidents get compensation for the injuries they suffered. We are happy to sit down and review your case at no cost and talk to you about what next steps need to be taken. We can defend your rights and make sure that you get the compensation you deserve. Give us a call or send an email today!